OBJECTIVE: To report our experience of treating dilating vesico-ureteric reflux (VUR) in children, using an injectable form of polydimethylsiloxane (Macroplastique, MPQ; Uroplasty BV, Geleen, The Netherlands), as medical treatment for moderate or severe VUR is associated with a high proportion of persistence or development of new scars.
PATIENTS AND METHODS: The study included 32 children (40 ureters) with VUR; 13 (32%) were grade III, 20 (50%) grade IV and seven (18%) grade V. They were treated over a period of 42 months, 66% for some form of bladder dysfunction and 38% had associated diseases. The main indications were VUR grade, recurrent urinary tract infection and progression of reflux nephropathy. MPQ was injected under general anaesthesia via an 11 F cystoscope, x 30 objective, with a 5 F working channel.
RESULTS: The mean (sd) follow-up was 28.5 (10.2) months; VUR resolved in 80% of patients and improved to minimal VUR in the remaining 20%. The resolution/improvement rate was 72% after the first injection, 97% after the second and 100% after the third. There were no significant complications.
CONCLUSION: The endoscopic implantation of MPQ always corrected VUR even though 68% of the cases were grade IV-V. It should become the treatment of choice for severe VUR.
Source: PubMed 16536778